We are based in the Heritage House, shown above with special decorations for its 100th Anniversary.
To learn about the Society and its activities, CLICK HERE.
To learn about the history of the City of Irving and also the Heritage House, CLICK HERE.
To learn about the history of the Irving Independent School District, CLICK HERE. To see now-and-then photographs of Irving schools and other views, CLICK HERE.
CLICK HERE for a list of future Society activities.
A list of current officers, directors, and committee chairs are found HERE, plus an application for membership as well as a list of former presidents.
Links to other Internet sites in Irving and those with a relation to history are found HERE.
National Register of Historic
Places Marker Unveiling
An overflowing crowd gathered on the lawn at the home of Dr. Clay W. Gilbert Sunday, December 7. The occasion was the unveiling of a National Register of Historic Places marker…..the first marker in Irving, Texas! The unveiling brought forth cheers of congratulations. Marvin Randle served as emcee for the day as well as provided reflections of a proclamation he had presented when he was mayor of Irving to Dr. Gilbert’s father, Dr. Franklin Monroe Gilbert, at the time of Dr. F.M. Gilbert’s retirement from the medical profession.
Additional speakers included Shirley Dobson presenting a state resolution on behalf of State Representative Linda Harper Brown and City Councilman Joe Putnam reading a proclamation from the City of Irving. Kaye Ward offered congratulations from the Irving Heritage Society and invited guests to enjoy refreshments at the Heritage House next door after the unveiling.
The National Register of Historic Places is the official list of the Nation’s historic places worthy of preservation. It is authorized by the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966 and is under the United States Department of the Interior, National Park Services. Listing in the National Register of Historic Places provides formal recognition of a property’s historical, architectural or archeological significance based on national standards used by every state.
There are four criterions that are considered for receiving this recognition. Mary Higbie provided a recap of those requirements and noted that the Joffre-Gilbert House was ranked on not just one but two levels. The areas of significance associated with the Joffre-Gilbert House are health/medicine and architecture.
The house is significant under Criterion C in the area of architecture as an important and singular local example of a Craftsman “airplane “ bungalow. It is the only one in Irving and unique in design. The house is also significant under Criterion B in the area of health/medicine for the association with Dr. Franklin Monroe Gilbert who purchased the house in 1939. Dr. F.M Gilbert and his father Dr. Daniel Webster Gilbert compassionately served the medical community without interruption for over a century.
The Joffre-Gilbert House is located at 309 South O’Connor (formerly Iowa Street) and was built in 1919 by the first owner A. Fred Joffre. It was recognized with a Recorded Texas Historic Landmark by the Texas Historical Commission in 1999. The Irving Heritage Society Landmark was presented by the City of Irving Preservation and Redevelopment and the Irving Heritage Society in 2000 and an Irving Texas Centennial marker was presented in 2003. An earlier Irving Heritage Society Landmark plaque was also placed on the Gilbert home.
The afternoon program and refreshments were arranged by the Irving Heritage Society and the Irving Museum Advisory Board.
November 7th IHS Board Meeting
A National Register of Historic Places marker will be unveiled at the Joffre-Gilbert House at 309 South O’Connor on Sunday, December 7, at 2pm. The home is owned by Dr. Clay W. Gilbert and is the first location in Irving to receive this national recognition. The public is invited to attend the unveiling and reception.
The home was built in 1919 by pioneer carpenter A. Fred Joffre as a dream home for his family. It is a two story, frame, Craftsman Style bungalow, referred to as an “airplane bungalow” based on its wide, low, front-facing gable and centrally-placed and cockpit-like second story. Dr. Franklin Monroe Gilbert and his wife Dorothy purchased the house in 1939. Their son, Dr. Clay Wayne Gilbert, acquired it in 1977.
Dr. Franklin Monroe Gilbert and his father Dr. Daniel Webster Gilbert served the medical needs of the greater Irving community for over a century (1870s-1970s). This home served as a secondary clinic and was known as a place to turn to in time of need.
A place on the National Register of Historic Places was awarded based on two criteria: the property is associated with the lives of persons significant in our past and on the uniqueness of the architectural style that the home represents.
A reception will follow the unveiling at the Irving Heritage House located next door. It will be hosted by the Irving Heritage Society and the Irving Museum Advisory board.
For more information about the unveiling, contact the Irving Heritage Society at 972-252-3838.
Cloggers entertain visitors
to the Heritage House Sunday, November 2nd.
It was a fun day with lots of toe tapping by the audience as well as the cloggers. Councilman Oscar Ward and his wife Kaye were among those who agreed to try out a few clogging steps. We have been adding some additional entertainment for visitors who come to the Heritage House for the First Sunday Tours.
Dixie Grand Cloggers
CLICK HERE for more photos!
The Dixie Grand Cloggers entertained visitors to the Irving Heritage House on Sunday, November 2, during the regular tour hours. Glen McCrary established the group in 1998 and they have gone on to proving their talents through competitive dancing as well as many performances across the Metroplex. Some of the Sunday guests even took a turn at a few steps.
Next up for Sunday@Heritage House will be Sunday, December 7, from 3pm-5pm. Music, refreshments and tours of the 1912 Recorded Texas Historic Landmark will be offered.
For more information, visit www.irvingheritage.com or call
972-252-3838. OTHER HERITAGE SOCIETY EVENTS.
Finance committee hard at work Friday evening
October 31, 2014
Committee is made up of 5 past presidents and they were assisted by others. Chaired by Janice Carroll, the committee is Dan Matkin, Marvin Randle, Fran Bonilla, Mary Moorman and
Marvin brought an original yearbook from 1980-1981 to share. What a treasure!
Mary Oberlin was president at that time. Other officers were Melalee Camak, Jim Wilcox, Tally Parker, John F. Brown, Jane Earle, and Estelle Bates.
Stacey Martin-Treasurer, Patty Caperton-President, Fran Bonilla and Marvin Randle
Dan Matkin, Diane Mannon-past treasurer, Mary Moorman. and Janice Carroll