The History of

AS JOHNStON Elementary School

Johnston Elementary School opened in September 1963 with 677 students. It was named after Albert Sydney Johnston who served as the Irving ISD Superintendent from 1927-1946. The school was built on a 10-acre site which cost the district $11,698 in 1959.

In 1971-72 school year the school participated in a pilot project using educational TV in the classroom. In 1977 after the sixth grade was moved to middle school, the extra space was converted into a library. The library, or learning resource center, became a hub for learning.

The first principal was Boyd Payne. Other principals include Douglas Baum, Wallace Wimbish, and Tina Richard. The principal in 2016 is Stephen Pollard. The school serves kindergarten through fifth grade.
During Mr. Johnston’s term as superintendent, Irving ISD went from 13 teachers with about 400 students to 42 teachers and 1500 students. His philosophy in life reflected his belief that there were no bad children, only misunderstood and misguided children.

Mr. Johnston was born January 14, 1879 in Tennessee. He graduated from North Texas State Teachers College (now the University of North Texas). He also did graduate work at SMU and Baylor. He spent 49 years in education with 48 of those as superintendent. He had served as superintendent in Bridgeport, TX prior to moving to Irving. He died December 8, 1953 and was buried in Oak Grove Memorial Gardens in Irving.

A.S. Johnston married Mary Ellen Fisher on January 1, 1901 in Weatherford, TX. They had one daughter, Alytiabel. She later taught school in Irving ISD.



Research by Lea Bailey using various documents from the Irving Public Library Archives on A.S. Johnston Elementary and A.S. Johnston, Rice, Joseph. Irving: A Texas Odyssey.Stanton, Norma. Irving, Texas: From Rails to Wings 1903-2003, http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=106408057&ref=acom and http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=116710869 . This web page was created December 2016 by the Celebrating Irving Committee of the Irving Heritage Society in partnership with Irving Independent School District. Photos used with the permission of Irving Archives, Irving Public Library, Irving Heritage Society, and Irving ISD.—if photos are located