Lee Britain Elementary began as Central Elementary. Central Elementary was originally located on the old school campus (where the Senior Heritage Center is now). In 1961, when the current Irving High School opened, Bowie Junior High moved into the old high school building on 6th Street and Central Elementary moved into the Junior high building on Edmondson. In 1965, the name was changed to honor Lee Britain.
Daniel Lee Britain, known as Lee, was the son of Henry W. Britain. Henry Britain sold part of his ranch land to J.O. Schulze and Otis Brown on which they founded the town of Irving in 1903.
Lee Britain was born in 1886 and died in 1957. He spent most of his life operating a dairy on land that his father gave him. The land was located between today's Britain Rd. and Nursery Rd. along Irving Blvd. He was active in the development of early Irving and served on the IISD Board of Trustees for 22 years. He married Kate Murphy in 1906, and the couple had five children.
Photographs courtesy of the Irving Archives, Irving Public Library, Irving, Texas. This web page was created by the Celebrating Irving Committee of the Irving Heritage Society in partnership with Irving Independent School District.